Room Assignments

SPU uses a computerized model that makes assigning housing as efficient and equitable as possible, while still supporting the creation of strong residential communities.

You will list your building and room-type preferences in the Housing Application. If you graduated from high school less than two years prior to the start of the academic year, you will select from residence hall options; if you graduated more than two years prior, you may choose either residence halls or apartments.

After each deadline (see How to Apply), students with complete applications (i.e., those who’ve made a housing deposit and advance payment) will be assigned. Each applicant will have an equal chance of getting their preferred hall.

While assignments are made by maximizing preferences, each area contains a finite number of spaces; therefore, we cannot guarantee a specific assignment. Your chances of getting into one of your preferred housing locations will depend on its availability and how many other students have requested it.

If demand for housing exceeds supply, priority will be given to students who are required to live on campus. (See the Residential Living Requirement.)

Disability accomodations

If you require housing accommodations due to a documented disability, you will be able to make your request in the Housing Application.

Your request will be forwarded to the Disability Support Services coordinator for evaluation and follow-up. The coordinator can be reached directly at 206-281-2272.

Incoming students should submit their request by June 1 for Autumn Quarter, or six weeks before the beginning of Winter and Spring Quarters.

Did you know ...

87% of students who meet the June 1 application deadline get one of their top three housing choices.

Kelsey Chase

Part-Time Jobs

Looking for a job while you study? SPU’s Office of Student Employment is here to help.

Questions about housing or meal plans?

Send questions or comments to or call 206-281-2188.