Electrical Engineering

Electrical Engineering (BS)

Programs Offered
  • Electrical Engineering (major and minor)


The BS in Electrical Engineering program provides students with a strong foundation to design and analyze electrical and electronics systems.  

The BS in EE degree is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET .

  • A minimum 130 credits are required for this major, including 45 upper-division credits.
  • All Engineering majors are required to participate in an engineering-related internship with industry or another career entity.
  • Chemistry: You must score 75 percent or higher on SPU’s Chemistry Placement Test or complete CHM 1310 Survey of General Chemistry or CHM 1211 General Chemistry.
  • You can choose to minor in Appropriate & Sustainable Engineering with only minimal (or possibly no) additional credits.

Get information about the Electrical Engineering Minor.

Entering and completing the major or minor

In order to earn a degree, you must complete at least one academic major. SPU encourages students to explore various academic paths, so if you change your mind about a major or minor, or want to include an additional program, you are able to do so, as outlined below.

We encourage you to enter your engineering major as soon as you have decided on it, and then select a faculty advisor corresponding to your major to guide you in completing your degree. If you plan to pursue a minor or an additional major, you should enter those programs by the start of your junior year and select a faculty advisor for each program.

  • If this is your first quarter at SPU and you identified the Electrical Engineering major as your first choice on your application for admission to the University, you have gained entry to the major.
  • To change to or add a major or minor in this department, follow these instructions.
  • The University requires a grade of C- or better in all classes that apply to a major or minor; however, programs may require higher minimum grades in specific courses. You may repeat an SPU course only once for a higher grade.
  • To advance in this program, meet with your faculty advisor regularly to discuss your grades, course progression, and other indicators of satisfactory academic progress. If your grades or other factors indicate that you may not be able to successfully complete the major or minor, your faculty advisor can work with you to explore options, which may include choosing a different major or minor.
  • You must complete the major or minor requirements that are in effect in the SPU Undergraduate Catalog for the year you enter the major or minor.