P–12 Certification

Choosing a major

The following certification programs are not accepting new admits as of Summer 2024: P-12 Health and Fitness, P-12 Music, and P-12 Theater.

Students seeking a P-12 endorsement (all levels) in health and fitness, choral music, general music, instrumental music, theater arts, and visual arts will need to major in their endorsement area in the college of arts and science. Students will also enroll in the P-12 certification program in order to earn their residency teaching certificate. 

Students seeking secondary certification at SPU should meet with the certification office in the School of Education no later than their sophomore year or the first quarter at SPU for transfer students.

Students seeking an endorsement in theater arts typically require a second endorsement. Theater arts students should work with their major advisor and the School of Education to ensure they have the content requirements for the second endorsement. 

Foundations Quarter

The following Foundations prerequisites apply to EDU 2300. 

All Foundations courses must be passed with a 3.0 (“B”) average and no grade lower than a 2.0 (“C”).

Foundations prerequisites include:

  • Official admission to SPU.
  • Sophomore standing (45 credits).
  • Registered for EDU 2100 prior to, or concurrent with, EDU 2300.
  • Post-baccalaureate students only: Passing score on the Washington state basic skills tests (WEST-B), Washington state educators’ endorsement test (WEST-E/NES), and transcript evaluation by the School of Education.

Methods and Skills courses

These courses may be taken independently of each other and the professional quarters. Courses must be completed prior to Methods Quarter. See School of Education for more details.

Students must receive a minimum GPA of 2.0 (“C”) or better in all methods and skills courses to be recommended for certification. 

Methods Quarter

Methods quarter is only offered Autumn Quarter. A minimum GPA of 2.0 (“C”) is required in all methods courses.

Methods prerequisites include:

  • Successful completion of the Foundations requirements with a 3.0 (“B”) average and no grade lower than a 2.0 (“C”).
  • Senior standing (135 credits).
  • Accepted into major.
  • Applied to the Residency Teacher Certification program and admitted to the School of Education.
    • P–12 Music students: See the School of Education at least one year before scheduled methods quarter to begin this paperwork. 
  • Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or 3.3 in last 45 credits.
  • Receive two favorable recommendations from SPU faculty and staff.
  • Pass ENG 3301, or both WRI 1000 and WRI 1100, with a grade of  2.0 (“C”) or better (if admitted to SPU Autumn Quarter 2012 or later).
  • Fingerprint and pre-residency clearance completed.
  • Official passing score on the Washington Educator Skills Test – Basic (WEST-B) testing requirement for teachers or official ACT/SAT scores meeting the minimum requirement for reading, writing, and mathematics.
  • Take the appropriate Washington Educator Skills Test – Endorsement (WEST-E/NES) for each endorsement being earned.

Integrated and Internship quarters

Students must take Integrated and Internship quarters sequentially in the same academic year (offered winter–spring).

A minimum 3.0 (“B”) average is required for both internships.

Integrated and Internship prerequisites include:

  • Successful completion of the Methods quarter with no grade lower than a 2.0 (“C”).
  • Completion of 15 upper-division credits in major.
  • Maintaining a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA or 3.3 in the last 45 credits throughout both quarters.
  • Official passing score(s) on the appropriate Washington Educator Skills-Endorsement (WEST-E/NES) test(s).
  • SPU should have official passing scores by September 1 of your student teaching year. Official passing scores must be received by SPU before students will be given permission to register for Integrated Quarter.

Professional certification disclosure

SPU’s Undergraduate Teacher Certification Program meets the educational requirements for certification in the state of Washington. Each state has different professional licensure and certification requirements. Eligibility for certification/licensure may involve more than degree completion and may include professional examinations, background checks, and fingerprinting. The requirements for certification/licensure can change without notice.

The state professional licensing boards make the ultimate decision as to whether or not an individual will be eligible for licensure based on the rules and regulations in place at the time the individual submits their application for licensure. Find information here about certification/licensure in the state where you intend to teach.