Secondary Certification


Choosing a major

Students seeking secondary certification (middle school and high school teachers) will major in a content area aligned to their desired teaching endorsement. Students will also enroll in the residency teacher certification program in order to earn their WA state teaching certificate.  Students seeking secondary certification at SPU should meet with the certification office in the School of Education no later than their sophomore year or the first quarter at SPU for transfer students. 

Students who would like to be endorsed in two areas (eg: History and English Language Arts) do not need to double major but do need to take a specific set of coursework to meet state requirements in the second endorsement. Students should set a meeting with the certification office as soon as possible to plan for these courses. 

Foundations Quarter

The following Foundations prerequisites apply to EDU 2300. 

Foundations prerequisites include:

  • Official admission to SPU.
  • Sophomore standing (45 credits).
  • Register for EDU 2100 prior to, or concurrent with, EDU 2300.
  • Post-baccalaureate students only: Passing scores on the Washington state basic skills test (WEST-B), Washington state educators’ endorsement test (WEST-E/NES), and transcript evaluation by the School of Education.

Methods and Skills courses

These courses may be taken independently of each other and the professional quarters. Courses must be completed prior to Methods Quarter. See the School of Education for more details.

You must receive a minimum GPA of 2.0 (“C”) or better in all methods and skills courses to be recommended for certification. 

Methods Quarter

Methods Quarter is offered only Autumn Quarter. A minimum GPA of 2.0 (“C”) is required in all methods courses. If you are a Secondary Certification student, you must take a methodology course for each endorsement area being earned. 

Methods prerequisites include:

  • Successful completion of the Foundations requirements with a 3.0 (“B”) average and no grade lower than a 2.0 (“C”).
  • Senior standing (135 credits).
  • Accepted into major. 
  • Applied to the Residency Teacher Certification program and admitted to the School of Education. 
  • Minimum Cumulative 3.0 GPA or 3.3 GPA in the last 45 credits.
  • Successful completion of nearly all required Major courses.
  • Receive two favorable recommendations from SPU faculty and staff.
  • Pass ENG 3301, or both WRI 1000 and WRI 1100, with a grade of  2.0 (“C”) or better (if admitted to SPU Autumn Quarter 2012 or later). 
  • Pass EDTC 4238 with a minimum GPA 2.0 ( “C”).
  • Fingerprint and pre-residency clearance completed.
  • Documentation of meeting the SOE preferred scores on the basic skills tests (reading, writing and math). Official Washington Educator Skills Test - Basic (WEST-B), SAT, or ACT scores are required.
  • Take the appropriate Washington Educator Skills Test - Endorsement (WEST-E/NES) for each endorsement being earned. SPU should have official passing scores by September 1 of the student teaching year. 

Integrated and Internship quarters

Students must take Integrated and Internship quarters sequentially in the same academic year (Winter-Spring). A minimum 3.0 GPA (“B”) is required for Secondary Internships A and B.

Integrated and Internship prerequisites include:

  • Successful completion of the Methods Quarter with no grade lower than a 2.0 (“C”).
  • Completion of 15 upper-division credits in your major.
  • Maintaining a 3.0 cumulative GPA or 3.3 in the last 45 credits throughout both quarters.
  • Official passing score(s) on the appropriate Washington Educator Skills test - Endorsement (WEST-E/NES).
    • SPU should have official passing scores by September 1 of your student teaching year. Official passing scores must be received by SPU before you will be given permission to register for Integrated quarter.

Professional certification disclosure

SPU’s Undergraduate Teacher Certification Program meets the educational requirements for certification in the state of Washington. Each state has different professional licensure and certification requirements. Eligibility for certification/licensure may involve more than degree completion and may include professional examinations, background checks, and fingerprinting. The requirements for certification/licensure can change without notice.

The state professional licensing boards make the ultimate decision as to whether or not an individual will be eligible for licensure based on the rules and regulations in place at the time the individual submits their application for licensure. Find information here about certification/licensure in the state where you intend to teach.