General Engineering

Programs Offered
  • General Engineering (major)

General Engineering (BS)


The BS in General Engineering degree combines the fundamentals of electrical and mechanical engineering, with some depth in one of these areas. It also allows you freedom to choose more engineering courses or to venture into broader areas of your choosing such as music, biology, or business.

The BS in General Engineering degree is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET.

  • A minimum 131 credits are required in this major, including 45 upper-division credits.
  • 18 credits for this major can be chosen from any area (such as business, music, biology, etc.) to meet your goals, upon approval of the General Engineering Department Chair.
  • All Engineering majors are required to participate in an engineering-related internship with industry or another career entity.  
  • You can choose to minor in Appropriate and Sustainable Engineering with minimal (or possibly no) additional credits.

Entering and completing the major

In order to earn a degree, you must complete at least one academic major. SPU encourages students to explore various academic paths, so if you change your mind about a major or minor, or want to include an additional program, you are able to do so, as outlined below.

We encourage you to enter your engineering major as soon as you have decided on it, and then select a faculty advisor corresponding to your major to guide you in completing your degree. If you plan to pursue a minor or additional major, you should enter those programs by the start of your junior year and select a faculty advisor for each program.

  • If this is your first quarter at SPU and you identified the General Engineering major as your first choice on your application for admission to the University, you have gained entry to the major.
  • To change to or add a major or minor in this department, follow these instructions.
  • The University requires a grade of C- or better in all classes that apply to a major or minor; however, programs may require higher minimum grades in specific courses. You may repeat an SPU course only once for a higher grade.
  • To advance in this program, meet with your faculty advisor regularly to discuss your grades, course progression, and other indicators of satisfactory academic progress. If your grades or other factors indicate that you may not be able to successfully complete the major or minor, your faculty advisor can work with you to explore options, which may include choosing a different major or minor.
  • You must complete the major or minor requirements that are in effect in the SPU Undergraduate Catalog for the year you enter the major or minor.