Sociology (BA)


Majoring in Sociology allows you to do a systematic study of societies, groups, and human interaction. SPU graduates have obtained graduate degrees in sociology, and gone on to practice law, go into social work and counseling, and enter social policy fields.

  • A minimum 53 credits are required for this major, including 25 upper-division credits.
  • A maximum 10 credits of SOC 4949 Internship in Sociology can apply toward the major.
  • If you are already majoring in another discipline, this major can be a good second major to complement it.
  • This major prepares you to apply sociological perspectives critically to social institutions and problems, and learn the skills of research design, data collection, and data analysis.
Degrees Offered
  • Sociology (major, minor)

Sociology minor


  • A minimum 30 credits are required, including 15 upper-division credits for the Sociology and Anthropology minors.
  • SOC 4940 Internship in Sociology does not apply toward the Sociology minor.

Entering and completing the major or a minor

In order to earn a degree, you must complete at least one academic major. SPU encourages students to explore various academic paths, so if you change your mind about a major or minor, or want to include an additional program, you are able to do so, as outlined below.

Note that the University encourages you to enter your chosen major(s) and minor(s) by the start of your junior year. Students who transfer as juniors and seniors should enter a major within their first two quarters at SPU.

  • If this is your first quarter at SPU and you identified a major in this department as your first choice on your application for admission to the University, you have gained entry to the major.
  • To change to or add a major or minor in this department, follow these instructions.
  • The University requires a grade of C- or better in all classes that apply to a major or minor; however, programs may require higher minimum grades in specific courses. You may repeat an SPU course only once for a higher grade.
  • To advance in this program, meet with your faculty advisor regularly to discuss your grades, course progression, and other indicators of satisfactory academic progress. If your grades or other factors indicate that you may not be able to successfully complete the major or minor, your faculty advisor can work with you to explore options, which may include choosing a different major or minor.
  • You must complete the major or minor requirements that are in effect in the SPU Undergraduate Catalog for the year you enter the major or minor.