Anthropology Minor

Degrees Offered
  • Anthropology (minor, track)

This minor is not accepting new admits as of Summer 2024.

The field of anthropology studies humans and human cultures in the past and present. In the anthropology minor, you will think critically about what it means to be human “beings.” You can choose from among three areas of emphasis in this minor.

  • Biological anthropology is the study of the biological and behavioral aspects of human beings.
  • Cultural anthropology is a comparative study of human cultures.
  • Linguistic anthropology studies the role of language in the social lives of individuals and communities.
  • A minimum 30 credits are required for this minor, including 15 upper-division credits.
  • This is an excellent minor for students pursuing careers in medicine, missions, public health, education, ecology, and forensics.

Entering and completing the minor

In order to earn a degree, you must complete at least one academic major. SPU encourages students to explore various academic paths, so if you change your mind about a major or minor, or want to include an additional program, you are able to do so, as outlined below.

Note that the University encourages you to enter your chosen major(s) and minor(s) by the start of your junior year. Students who transfer as juniors and seniors should enter a major within their first two quarters at SPU.

  • If this is your first quarter at SPU and you identified a major as your first choice on your application for admission to the University, you have gained entry to the major.
  • To change or enter a major or minor, follow these instructions.
  • The University requires a grade of C- or better in all classes that apply to a major or minor; however, programs may require higher minimum grades in specific courses. You may repeat an SPU course only once for a higher grade.
  • To advance in this program, meet with your faculty advisor regularly to discuss your grades, course progression, and other indicators of satisfactory academic progress. If your grades or other factors indicate that you may not be able to successfully complete the major or minor, your faculty advisor can work with you to explore options, which may include choosing a different major or minor.
  • You must complete the major or minor requirements that are in effect in the SPU Undergraduate Catalog for the year you enter the major or minor.