Music Minors

The Music Department offers these minors to students who are not majoring in a music program but who want to compliment their academic major or deepen their personal enrichment: 

Music and Worship Arts  minor

A minor in Music and Worship Arts will train you to use your musical gifts — whether as a worship leader, a performer, a composer, a conductor, or a teacher. It will also provide you with advanced study in music theory and literature.

Music minor

As a Music minor, you will follow an integrative approach to advancing your musical skills. You will study music theory, aural skills, and the history of music, and will participate in context courses that further your knowledge of music, people, and culture.

Music Production minor

In the Music Production minor, you are prepared for the future of music and audio technology in areas such as film scoring, live sound, video game scoring, and sound design for TV and film.

You'll also engage in a yearlong sequence of recording classes in which you’ll learn to produce professional level recordings by working in SPU’s high-tech Nickerson Studios. This minor prepares you for podcasting, doing sound in live church services, creating music with MIDI-based software, and more. Transfer students will be able to complete this minor in two years. 

  • Each of these minors requires a minimum 32–30 credits, including 15 upper-division credits.
  • Depending on the minor chosen, courses include Core requirements, Theological and Historical Foundations, contemporary performance practice, and ensemble participation.

Entering and completing a Music minor

In order to earn a degree, you must complete at least one academic major. SPU encourages students to explore various academic paths, so if you change your mind about a major or minor, or want to include an additional program, you are able to do so, as outlined below.

Note that the University encourages you to enter your chosen major(s) and minor(s) by the start of your junior year. Students who transfer as juniors and seniors should enter a major within their first two quarters at SPU.

  • To apply to enter the Music minor, follow these instructions.
  • If you are an SPU student with an SPU cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better, follow these instructions to enter a major or minor in this department.
  • Students on academic probation (with an SPU cumulative GPA below 2.0) will not be permitted to enter a new major or minor until they regain good academic standing.
  • The University requires a grade of C- or better in all classes that apply to a major or minor; however, programs may require higher minimum grades in specific courses. You may repeat an SPU course only once for a higher grade.
  • To advance in this program, meet with your faculty advisor regularly to discuss your grades, course progression, and other indicators of satisfactory academic progress. If your grades or other factors indicate that you may not be able to successfully complete the major or minor, your faculty advisor can work with you to explore options, which may include choosing a different major or minor.
  • You must complete the major or minor requirements that are in effect in the SPU Undergraduate Catalog for the year you enter the major or minor.

Time Schedule:

Course planning: Suggested course sequences