Elementary Certification


Integrated Studies major

Students planning to receive Elementary Teacher Certification must select the Integrated Studies major with a concentration in one of the areas listed below. The Integrated Studies major is a degree within the College of Arts and Sciences. You will be assigned a major advisor based on your concentration.  

Foundations Quarter

The following Foundations prerequisites apply to EDU 2300. 

Foundations prerequisites include:

  • Official admission to SPU.
  • Sophomore standing (45 credits).
  • Register for EDU 2100 prior to, or concurrent with, EDU 2300.
  • Post-baccalaureate students only: Passing scores on the Washington state basic skills test (WEST-B), Washington state educators’ endorsement test (WEST-E/NES), and transcript evaluation by the School of Education.

Students will be required to make a Foundations advising appointment with the certification advisor the quarter they take EDU 2300. 

Methods and skills courses

These courses may be taken independently of each other and the professional quarters. Courses must be completed prior to Methods quarter. See School of Education for more details.

You must receive a minimum GPA of 2.0 (“C”) or better in all methods and skills courses to be recommended for certification.

Methods Quarter

Methods Quarter is offered only Autumn Quarter. A minimum GPA of 2.0 (“C”) is required in all Methods courses. 

Methods prerequisites include:

  • Successful completion of the Foundations requirements (EDU 2100 & EDU 2300) with a 3.0 (“B”) average and no grade lower than a 2.0 (“C”).
  • Senior standing (135 credits).
  • Accepted into major.  
  • Applied to the Residency Teacher Certification program and admitted to the School of Education.  
  • Minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA or 3.3 GPA in the last 45 credits.
  • Successful completion of all Core courses in the Integrated Studies major.  
  • Receive two favorable recommendations from SPU faculty and staff.
  • Pass ENG 3301, or both WRI 1000 and WRI 1100,  with a minimum GPA 2.0 ( “C”).
  • Pass EDRD 2000 with a minimum GPA 2.0 ( “C”).  
  • Fingerprint and pre-residency clearance completed.
  • Documentation of meeting the SOE preferred scores on the basic skills tests (reading, writing and math). Official Washington Educator Skills Test - Basic (WEST-B), SAT, or ACT scores are required.
  • Take the appropriate Washington Educator Skills Test - Endorsement (WEST-E/NES) for each endorsement being earned. SPU should have official passing scores by September 1 of the student teaching year. 

Integrated and Internship quarters

Students must take Integrated and Internship quarters sequentially in the same academic year (Winter-Spring). A minimum 3.0 GPA (“B”) is required for Elementary Internships A and B.

Integrated and Internship prerequisites include:

  • Successful completion of the Methods Quarter with no grade lower than a 2.0 (“C”).
  • Completion of 15 upper-division credits in student’s major.
  • Maintaining a 3.0 cumulative GPA or 3.3 in the last 45 credits throughout both quarters.
  • Official passing score(s) on the appropriate Washington Educator Skills test - Endorsement (WEST-E/NES).
    • SPU should have official passing scores by September 1 of your students teaching year. Official passing scores must be received by SPU before students will be given permission to register for Integrated quarter.

Professional certification disclosure

SPU’s Undergraduate Teacher Certification Program meets the educational requirements for certification in the state of Washington. Each state has different professional licensure and certification requirements. Eligibility for certification/licensure may involve more than degree completion and may include professional examinations, background checks, and fingerprinting. The requirements for certification/licensure can change without notice.

The state professional licensing boards make the ultimate decision as to whether or not an individual will be eligible for licensure based on the rules and regulations in place at the time the individual submits their application for licensure. Find information here about certification/licensure in the state where you intend to teach.