Political Science (BA)

Programs offered
  • Political Science (major and minor)

The Political Science major equips you to become a leader and citizen who can influence local, national, and global politics and public policy informed by Christian faith and tradition. As a Political Science major at SPU, you will wrestle with some of the most fundamental questions underlying faith and the political order.

  • What is the relationship between Christian principles and public policy?
  • How can Christians model both the character and truth of Jesus Christ in the public square?
  • How should we all live in local, national, and global community?

To assist in the exploration of these questions, you will receive broad training in political philosophy; governance at the local, national, and global levels; law; public policy; international relations; and the political behavior of individuals, groups, and global actors. You are also provided with peer support and co-curricular activities through the SPU Political Union, a nonpartisan student group.

Find out more about this program’s mission, vision, and learning outcomes.

Political Science (BA)


  • A minimum 55 credits are required for this major, including 34 upper-division credits.
  • Coursework include a General Core, which include courses such as American Government & Politics, Comparative Political Systems, Theories of the Political System, and Methods of Political Analysis. 
  • Students also chose electives from areas such as U.S. Systems, International Affairs & Global Systems, International Political Economy, and Experiential Learning.
  • Students may complete a study abroad program or approved experiential learning activity instead of an internship.


Political Science minor


The Political Science minor allows you to complement your chosen major with some general political science coursework.

  • A minimum 30 credits are required, including 15 upper-division credits.
  • SPU requires you to earn at least 15 credits of this minor at SPU, 10 of which must be upper-division credits.

Entering and completing the major or minor 

In order to earn a degree, you must complete at least one academic major. SPU encourages students to explore various academic paths, so if you change your mind about a major or minor, or want to include an additional program, you are able to do so, as outlined below.

Note that the University encourages you to enter your chosen major(s) and minor(s) by the start of your junior year. Students who transfer as juniors and seniors should enter a major within their first two quarters at SPU.

  • If this is your first quarter at SPU and you identified the Political Science major as your first choice on your application for admission to the University, you have gained entry to the major.
  • To change to or add a major or minor in this department, follow these instructions.
  • The University requires a grade of C- or better in all classes that apply to a major or minor; however, programs may require higher minimum grades in specific courses. You may repeat an SPU course only once for a higher grade.
  • To advance in this program, meet with your faculty advisor regularly to discuss your grades, course progression, and other indicators of satisfactory academic progress. If your grades or other factors indicate that you may not be able to successfully complete the major or minor, your faculty advisor can work with you to explore options, which may include choosing a different major or minor.
  • You must complete the major or minor requirements that are in effect in the SPU Undergraduate Catalog for the year you enter the major or minor.

Future teachers

Certification With Elementary Education Endorsement

If you plan to teach in an elementary school and are interested in teaching Political Science or Geography, you must major in the Integrated Studies major with a concentration in social sciences. Further information can be found on the School of Education website.

Certification With Secondary Education Endorsement

If you plan to obtain secondary Residency Teacher Certification with an endorsement in Political Science, you should pursue a BA in Political Science, and you must also complete requirements for a Secondary Education Endorsement through the School of Education.