Urban Studies Minor

This minor is not acepting new admits as of Summer 2024.

The Urban Studies minor is an interdisciplinary program that examines how planning, politics, demography, and social inequality impact modern urban environments.

The historical and contemporary forces that impact cities are explored to gain an understanding of the dynamic nature of urban centers. A minor in Urban Studies equips students in developing new strategies for producing better urban communities.


  • A minimum 30 credits are required for this minor, including 15 upper-division credits.
  • Foundation requirements include Urban Sociology and Mapping Crime: Geographic Info.
  • Electives include courses from departments such as Sociology, Theology, Political Science, and Family and Consumer Sciences.

Entering and completing the minor

In order to earn a degree, you must complete at least one academic major. SPU encourages students to explore various academic paths, so if you change your mind about a major or minor, or want to include an additional program, you are able to do so, as outlined below.

Note that the University encourages you to enter your chosen major(s) and minor(s) by the start of your junior year. Students who transfer as juniors and seniors should enter a major within their first two quarters at SPU.

  • If this is your first quarter at SPU, apply in Banner to gain entry to the minor by following these instructions.
  • To change to or add a major or minor in this department, follow these instructions.
  • The University requires a grade of C- or better in all classes that apply to a major or minor; however, programs may require higher minimum grades in specific courses. You may repeat an SPU course only once for a higher grade.
  • To advance in this program, meet with your faculty advisor regularly to discuss your grades, course progression, and other indicators of satisfactory academic progress. If your grades or other factors indicate that you may not be able to successfully complete the major or minor, your faculty advisor can work with you to explore options, which may include choosing a different major or minor.
  • You must complete the major or minor requirements that are in effect in the SPU Undergraduate Catalog for the year you enter the major or minor.