On-Campus Employment: Supervisors
The Student Employment program is designed to assist our students in financing their education, developing essential job skills, and enhancing their SPU experience. As the supervisor, you have the most impact on the students’ work and experience. We appreciate your efforts and are here for you. Below you’ll find tools and information for supervising your students.
Mandatory COVID-19 Training for Student Employees
In response to government requirements, beginning Wednesday August 5, 2020, all student employees will be expected to complete COVID-19 Training. Faculty and staff members are already required to complete the same training. The training is mandatory and all student employees should complete the training as soon as practicable once it is available.
This training is located in Canvas under the Safety Training Course. If a student employee has already completed the other two modules in this course, they do not need to complete them again. New student employees will need to complete all three training modules.
Thank you for your commitment to the health and safety or our student workers.
Student employment policies
Download the Student Employee Supervisor Handbook for answers to these questions and many more:
- How many credits do student employees have to be enrolled in?
- What’s the maximum number of hours a student can work?
- When do I have to give a student employee breaks and meal periods?
- What do I do if a student has unreported hours and the time sheet is already submitted?
Setting up a student employee checklist
Use this guide to ensure a smooth process for your office and your new student employee.
- Does this position already exist in Banner?
- Advertise the position in the Handshake employer portal (How to Post an On Campus Position on Handshake).
- Interview students who apply and select a finalist. Email students who were not selected to notify them that the position is now closed.
- Tell the finalist that he or she will be required to complete an I-9 Form and W-4 Form upon official hiring. The I-9 Form must be completed within the first three days of employment.
- Complete an ePAF (Electronic Personnel Action Form) in Banner to officially hire the student using these instructions (PDF).
- Send the student the instructions for how to submit timesheets (PDF).
- Check on the status of the ePAF as well as the student’s documents using these instructions.
- Have an orientation to get your student acquainted with the position and your office.
If you have questions, contact the student employment coordinator at 206-281-2047 or firstname.lastname@example.org.