Grad PLUS Loans
- You must be a graduate or professional degree student.
- You must be enrolled at least half-time at an eligible school in a program leading to a degree or certificate.
- Your initial eligibility application is your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Complete the application at StudentAid.gov.
- Your approval requires a credit check for adverse credit history. If you are denied, it is possible to appeal the credit decision or to find someone without adverse credit history that can "endorse" the loan to allow you to borrow.
- The PLUS application must be completed each year that you wish to borrow.
- Your application includes loan amount options: maximum (allows awarding up to your cost of attendance not covered by other aid) and specific loan request amounts.
- Revisions to your initial application (if you wish to reduce or increase the amount of loan funds) may be made by contacting SFS.
Direct loan PLUS Master Promissory Note
- The DL PLUS MPN request is also completed at StudentAid.gov.
- A second MPN will be required if the previous MPN required an endorser or has otherwise become inactive.
- Interest accrual begins when funds are disbursed.
- Repayment is deferred while the student is enrolled at least half-time and for an additional six months after ceasing to be enrolled at least half-time.
- Contact your direct loan servicer for information about paying the accruing interest early.
Find more information about PLUS loans and about federal student aid.