Color Guard

Military and military families at SPU: These benefits are for you.

If you are currently serving in the military, you may be eligible for educational funding through the Department of Defense Tuition Assistance program. Before enrolling, verify with your service representative your eligibility and the amount for which you may receive.

Former active duty? You may also be eligible for VA benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill®, including a percentage of tuition and a housing allowance. Use the BAH calculator to find out how much may be covered. (Enter zip code 98119 and pay grade E-5.)

The Yellow Ribbon program provides undergraduates up to $14,000 per year for tuition — $7,000 from SPU and $7,000 in VA matching funds. It applies if you’re discharged from the military and qualify for Chapter 33 with 100-percent entitlement. Not sure? Visit the VA website for details. Note: All SPU-funded sources of gift aid (such as merit scholarships, SPU Grants, and other scholarships) awarded to each eligible undergraduate recipient count toward meeting the University’s Yellow Ribbon program commitment.

Spouse or child of a veteran or active service member? You may be eligible for financial assistance from the Department of Defense for education or training, or for transfer of the service member’s Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits to you.

As a student, you may also qualify for other federal, state, and institutional aid. Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to find out.

Alternative/private educational loans may also be available, but generally under less favorable terms than federal funds. Consider using all eligibility for federal loans first.

If you’re admitted to SPU and receive educational benefits from the VA, Student Financial Services will contact you with details about financial aid, estimated costs, payment options, and balances owed.

The Office of the Registrar has more specifics online about how SPU serves veterans, or you can contact us for more information.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at: