The SBGE Internship Program for Business Administration, Economics, and PPE students consists of these three parts:
- Pre-internship class (BUS 2910 or GS 3001, 1 credit)
- Internship experience (approval required)
- Post-internship reflection course (BUS 4942, 1 credit)
BUS 2910: Internship and Career Strategies
(or GS 3001: College to Career Planning)
Students intending to major in Business Administration, Economics, or P.P.E. should register for one of these pre-internship courses by the end of their sophomore year. These classes are intended to help develop skills for finding an internship that will be a good match for your strengths and calling. Topics include writing a professional résumé, cover letter, and LinkedIn profile, preparing for interviews, and understanding the requirements for an approved internship.
Internships that meet the criteria for BUS 4942 must:
- Be a minimum of 80 hours, paid or unpaid.
- Include a significant level of responsibility that relates to SBGE coursework and is not just filing, answering phones, and photocopying.
- Meet the standard SPU internship qualifications (see Internship FAQs).
Experiences that will NOT meet the criteria for BUS 4942 include those where:
- Students work on their own without supervision or training.
- Their supervisor is an immediate family member.
- Operations include personal errands.
- Students are required to use their own personal network to generate leads.
- Charges, fees or equipment/supply purchases are required of the student.
In order to receive approval for your internship, you must:
- Complete the BUS 4942 Internship Approval Form on Handshake. Follow these instructions for help.
- Once you have submitted the form, the SBGE Internship Coordinator will initiate the approval process. Approvals take place sequentially. First, your site supervisor and finally the SBGE Internship Coordinator will approve and give you permission to register for credit.
- Students will not be able to register for BUS 4942 without an approved internship experience.
Post-Internship Reflection Course
BUS 4942: Internship Reflection and Professional Development
BUS 4942 provides an opportunity for reflection on a student’s internship experience. A minimum commitment of 80 hours of total internship experience must be completed in order to take BUS 4942. The approved internship must be related to students’ Business Administration, Economics, or PPE major and provide opportunities to apply principles of business, faith, service, and leadership in a professional setting.
- Prerequisite: BUS 2910 or GS 3001
- Must have completed or be currently working in an SBGE approved internship.
- Must be taken within one year of your internship experience.
Note: Prior to Autumn 2021, BUS 4942 was a variable 2–6 credit course. Students admitted to their major prior to Autumn 2021 will see in Banner Degree Check that they are required to satisfy 2 credits for BUS 4942. Due to the course now being offered as a 1 credit course, SBGE is permitting these students to have fewer credits in this requirement as long as they meet the university minimums for total credits. A note will need to be added to your Degree Check by Associate Director, Jake Carlson.
Internship Supervisors are requested to complete the BUS 4942 Internship Supervisor Evaluation form.
For questions about finding an internship, please contact the Center for Career and Calling.