Interested in changing the world? Informed by Christian faith and a concern for justice, the Political Science major in SPU's School of Business, Government, and Economics will equip you to become the kind of citizen and leader who positively influences politics and public policy.
About the Political Science Major
As a Political Science major, you’ll wrestle with some of the most fundamental questions underlying faith and the political order. What is the relationship between Christian principles and public policy? How can Christians model both the character and truth of Jesus Christ in the public square? How should we all live in local, national, and global community?
As you explore these questions, you’ll receive broad training in political philosophy, government, law, public policy, geopolitics, international relations, and the political behavior of individuals and groups. You’ll also receive peer support and have a chance to participate in SPU's Political Union, a nonpartisan student group.
Political Science students are required to take a total of 69 credits, including a political science core of 39 credits plus 30 credits towards one of three tracks.
Political Science students choose one of the following tracks.
- The General track offers you the most flexibility while giving you a solid political science base.
- The International Affairs track is designed for anyone interested in global politics and policy, or a career in the U.S. State Department.
- The Public Policy and Law track is especially beneficial if you are considering a career in government or plan to attend law school.
Many of our Political Science students pursue law school after graduation. The School of Business, Government, and Economics prepares you for law school with the necessary education, along with pre-law advising and resources.
Sample Job Titles
- Community Organizer
- Foreign Service Officer
- Political Campaign Manager
Possible Job Settings
- City Government
- Government Agencies
- Health & Human Services Department
- Law Firms
- Non-Profit Organizations
- See More